How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last? Your Comprehensive Guide
Jul 18, 2023
Many people want a bright, shiny smile. They use teeth whitening treatments to get it. You can get these treatments at a store or dentist's office. But people often ask, "How long do teeth whitening last?" This blog will answer that question. It will also tell you who can use these treatments.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last with Professional Treatment?
Teeth whitening at the dentist's office can give great results. It can last from one to three years. Here's what happens during the procedure:
- The dentist first shields the gums from the whitening gel.
- Then, the teeth get a special whitening gel.
- Laser light is used to start and speed up the whitening process.
- The dentist repeats this until the teeth are as white as you want.
The Duration of Home Teeth Whitening Kits
Dentists sometimes give patients teeth whitening kits to use at home. These kits let you keep your smile shiny at home. They usually last about a year. Here's how you use them:
- Put some bleaching gel onto the mouth tray.
- Put the tray on your teeth.
- Keep the tray on your teeth for a while. The time depends on the type of gel.
- After you take off the tray, rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Clean the tray with cold water.
- Do this every day or, as your dentist tells you, usually for two weeks.
Who Can Benefit from Teeth Whitening Treatments?
Not everyone should use teeth whitening treatments. Some health or dental problems might stop you from using them, especially treatments with UV light. These people should not use teeth whitening:
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- People who are sensitive to light.
- People with diseases like diabetes, skin cancer, or heart problems.
- People are getting chemotherapy or radiation treatment.
- People with gum diseases, receding gums, or sensitive teeth.
Talking to your dentist before using teeth whitening treatments would be best. Tell your dentist about any medicine you are taking.
Maintaining Your Bright Smile: How to Extend the Effects of Teeth Whitening
After you whiten your teeth, you want to keep your smile bright. Here's how:
- Drink less coffee, tea, red wine, and dark fruit juice.
- Don't eat dark chocolate and sauces that are red or brown.
- Stay away from food and drinks with fake colors.
- Be careful what you eat in the first two days after treatment. Your teeth can get stained easily, then.
To keep your teeth white, you should also keep your teeth clean. Brush and floss your teeth regularly. Rinse with mouthwash. Use whitening toothpaste and toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
Teeth whitening doesn't last forever. But with good habits and touch-ups now and then, your smile can stay bright for many years. Remember, teeth whitening should be just for you. Always talk to your dentist before you start to whiten your teeth.